If you are a pool owner, you’ve probably heard a lot about swimming pool water testing. It seems to be something talked about frequently when it comes to pool maintenance and for good reason! Swimming pool water testing can sometimes seem like a chore that you don’t want to do, but it is just one of those regular tasks that you HAVE to do to keep your pool water swimmable. If you let your pool go for too long without proper testing, you will definitely regret it. You will never regret taking the time to test your pool water because you will always be rewarded with a sparkling, clean result that you and your family can enjoy safely. Let’s take a look at just how serious the consequences can be if you don’t do your swimming pool water testing on a regular basis:
- The water can become a breeding ground for bacteria, germs, viruses, and algae. The health of everyone who swims in your pool is at risk if there are not high enough levels of chlorine in the water. Think of all of the bacteria that enters your pool through sweat, open wounds, urine, etc. The right amount of chlorine will kill all of those harmful substances.
- On the flip side, too much chlorine can also cause discomfort to swimmers. High chlorine levels can make your skin itch and your eyes burn. It may even create fumes that are bad for your lungs and make swimming uncomfortable. Water testing can help you make sure you have enough—but not too much—chlorine in your water.
- Protect your equipment and the lifespan of your pool. The pH balance of the water is important because your pool water (when too acidic or basic) will cause damage to the pool liner, plaster, concrete, etc.