When it comes to owning a swimming pool, it is always fun and exciting. But anyone who owns a swimming pool can tell you that it requires maintenance. Part of that essential maintenance is swimming pool water testing. Here are 5 tips you need to know for your swimming pool water testing.
- What Will You Need? All you need to complete your swimming pool water testing is some test strips, a test kit, and a clean and clear cup.
- Using Test Strips – Fill the cup up with the pool water. This is the water that you will test. Take the test strip and dip it into the cup full of pool water. Wait 15 seconds, then compare the strip to the associated chart that came with your test strips.
- Using Test Kit – Use the testing container within your kit to take a sample of your pool water. Add 4 drops of OTO to the yellow side and 4 drops of Phenol to the red side. OTO tests the chlorine levels and Phenol tests the PH levels. Covering your kit, shake to mix. Then, compare the color of your samples to each chart to see if your levels are high or low.
- Take Your Sample to a Professional – Another method of water testing is simply taking your water sample to a professional to have it tested.
- How Often Should I Test My Water? It is suggested that you test chlorine and PH levels of your swimming pool water 2 to 3 times a week. Weather events like a rainstorm when your pool was uncovered may necessitate more frequent testing.
If you have any questions on how to conduct these tests, please call us at S & H Pools for more information.