If you own a pool, you are probably going to need professional pool services at some point, but you can reduce the frequency of these visits by properly maintaining your pool. Having your own pool does add to your regular workload of household chores, but the enjoyment that you and your whole family get from the pool will more than make up for it.
Here are some of the regular maintenance steps you can take to reduce the likelihood that you will need to call for professional pool services this summer:
- Pay attention to your pool’s water level. Some of the automatic cleaning elements like the skimming baskets can’t work properly if the water level is too low.
- Purchase a timer to make sure your pool pump runs for 6-8 hours a day. The water must circulate regularly to get cleaned in the filter system.
- Test your pool water every week, and make sure you add chemicals as needed to keep it balanced. Remember that you shouldn’t add multiple chemicals at the same time and you shouldn’t add chemicals in the skimmer.
- Make sure the pool gets vacuumed about every 2 days. You may choose to add an automatic vacuum or do this by hand.
- Skim the large debris from your pool every day. You may use a net for leaves and other items. Empty the skimmer baskets. Removing this large debris reduces strain on your pump.
- More thorough cleaning of your pool should occur about 2 times a week. This includes cleaning the pool deck and brushing key areas of the pool where algae is more likely to develop (like the ladders).
Keeping up with the maintenance of your pool is one of the most important things you can do to protect your pool and its equipment. If you do needs professional pool services in the Hickory, North Carolina area, give us a call at S & H Pools.